It’s been an up and down season for Edinburgh. Coach Alan Solomons only made it 4 games into the season before departing from Murrayfield which must have come as a bit of a shock to the players he had signed over the summer. It’s noticeable that the Depth Chart reflects movements for some of these new boys who appeared to be first choices at the outset of the campaign but who have dropped out of favour somewhat under Duncan Hodge.
Time then for a look at the full OTOTM Depth Chart for Edinburgh 2016/17 (click image for large version):
Main squad facts and figures:
- There are 18 capped internationals in the main squad of 42 players (16 Scots and 2 others)
- The players have a total of 1,593 games for Edinburgh behind them (as at 20/12/16)
- They include 3 men with over 100 appearances for the club – Ross Ford, Al Dickinson and WP Nel. Tom Brown is just 2 games away from joining them.
- There are 18 players in the squad who combined have played fewer games for Edinburgh than the man with the most appearances, Ross Ford (166 matches)
- The average age of the squad is:
- Forwards 26.8
- Backs 25.0
- All 26.1
- The average age of the possible first choice XV is:
- Forwards 28.4
- Backs 24.3
- All 26.5
- 13 of the main squad have progressed from SRA or its predecessor, Elite Development Player contracts – 31% of current full-time players. In addition Blair Kinghorn and Jamie Ritchie were signed straight out of school, bypassing the Academy; and Duncan Weir and Glenn Bryce came through the youth ranks at Glasgow.
Players used 2016/17
- 43 players have had game time so far this season.
- 39 of the main squad, 1 SRA player, 2 players on loan and 1 on a partnership contract have featured.
- Nick Beavon, George Turner and Anton Bresler are the main squad members who have yet to play in this campaign.
- 14 players have made their debuts – 10 main squad, 1 SRA and 3 others.
- First choice players account for 42% of match appearances in this campaign so far (51% of all starts)
- Second choice players 36%
- Squad players 17%
- Other players 5%
- SRA players have made 5 starts and 3 substitute appearances this season (0 starts and 0 subs last year).
Not Scottish Qualified
- Forwards – 4 of 25 players in the main squad are not eligible to play for Scotland (16%)
- Backs – 8 of 17 players (47%)
- Total – 12 of 42 players (29%). Last season 13 of 43 (30%)
- Nationalities – 10 in total (2015/16 – 7)
- 30 players – Scottish
- 2 players each – Australian, Irish, New Zealander, Tongan
- 1 player each – Fijian, Namibian, Samoan, South African, Welsh
* Minor changes from the Top 30 analysis to the latest version noted below:
Hamish Watson may well have been Edinburgh’s player of the season so far. Following his breakthrough for Scotland he’s the man in possession of the 7 jersey for both club and country ahead of John Hardie.
Chris Dean has been the preferred partner for Phil Burleigh in midfield, easing out summer signing Solmoni Rasolea.
Similarly on the wing, home grown talent in the shape of Tom Brown has kept another new boy, former Ulsterman Rory Scholes, out of the first choice lineup.
King Blairhorn (© The Embra Express) has been ever present in 2016/17 and has started 8 of the last 9 games at full back after Glenn Bryce had been first choice at the outset of the season.